Climate Action Planning Consultant - The Carbon Trust (London)
Contract Term: Permanent
Closing date: 31st January 2020
Salary: Commensurate with experience
We have recently seen a significant increase in demand for our services as a result of the growing Climate Emergency and Net Zero movement and we are now looking to expand our in-house team with this exciting new role. The successful candidate will be working closely with public sector bodies (in particular Local Authorities), and with in-house experts at the Carbon Trust to deliver consultancy based contracts, primarily related to climate action planning as part of our dedicated Climate Action Planning team.
The Carbon Trust is one of the world’s leading independent authorities on action in response to climate change. Through our work to date, we have helped our customers achieve energy cost savings of over £5 billion and reduce their CO2 emissions by 47 million tonnes. Our dedicated Climate Action Planning team sits in our Cities and Regions team to provide strategic guidance and support across a broad number of areas for Local Authorities and City Governments.
Our Cities & Regions team offers consultative expertise focused on developing metrics, tools, insights, rationale, financing and strategic direction to support the public sector to plan and implement for a low carbon world. The team has worked with over 75% of UK public sector bodies, including more than 400 Local Authorities on numerous activities using appropriate standards and proprietary methods and systems, covering footprinting and climate action strategy. We are increasingly involved in sharing this expertise in projects across the world.
Main duties and responsibilities of the role:
- Taking the role of Project Manager for climate action planning consultancy contracts, and supporting the management of larger multi-year programmes.
- Leading on stakeholder engagement with local government representatives (including officers, executives and councillors), and other key stakeholders.
- Contributing to and leading client workshops, which help local authorities determine their role in delivering climate action locally, helping to shape projects and programmes, including technical solutions, that deliver against strategic objectives.
- Overseeing and supporting junior members of staff with tasks such as carbon footprinting, emissions scenario modelling, target setting, project identification and quantification.
- Capacity building and knowledge transfer to up-skill local authority staff, helping to support them to develop comprehensive long term strategies, plans and business cases for climate action.
- Lead the drafting of compelling climate action strategies and delivery plans for local government and other public sector bodies.
- Delivering ad hoc advice to clients.
- Supporting on other areas of the Carbon Trust’s varied work on climate change where appropriate.
- Taking an active role in business development, including leading and contributing to tender responses, and developing new relationships with Local Authorities, Local Enterprise Partnerships (LEPs), universities and NHS bodies. This may also include contributing to innovative thinking around local climate action planning, both in the UK and overseas, and the development of new services and thought leadership to further support our clients and address persistent market failures.
- Working closely with government, industry, funders and interest groups to develop new propositions and inform the Carbon Trust's ongoing work in this field.
- Playing an active role in knowledge management across the Carbon Trust, supporting the creation, sharing and management of knowledge and information.
More info and how to apply